The property, that eventually became known as Brooklands Park was originally occupied in 1841 by Captain Henry King and it was he who named the property “Brooklands”. Captain King was the chief commissioner for the Plymouth Company and arrived in New Plymouth aboard the Amelia Thompson in September 1841. The chimney is the remnants of the house that he built in 1842 which was burnt down just twenty years later during the Taranaki wars.

When Newton King moved to Brookland in 1888 he obviously recognised the historical significance of the chimney and left it standing.

Brooklands Chimney